The Global Big Latch-On 2017
The Global Big Latch On takes place at a registered locations around the world, where women gather together to breastfeed and offer peer support to each other. Their friends, family and community join this celebration to promote and support breastfeeding. Volunteers from within the community host each location, hosting a Global Big Latch On creates a lasting support network for the community.
The Global Big Latch On takes place annually over two days during World Breastfeeding Week (1st – 7th August). As a worldwide peer support and community development event, it aims to strengthen national and global support for breastfeeding and to improve the health of children and women around the world.
The Big Latch On aims to protect, promote & support breastfeeding families by:
- Provide support for communities to identify and grow opportunities to provide on-going breastfeeding support and promotion in local communities.
- Raise awareness of breastfeeding support and knowledge available locally and globally.
- Help communities positively support breastfeeding in public places.
- Make breastfeeding as normal part of day-to-day life at a local community level.
- Increase support for women who breastfeed – women are supported by their partners, family and their communities.
- Ensure communities have the resources to advocate for coordinated appropriate and accessible breastfeeding support services.
The Global Big Latch On is a highly successful, targeted community development initiative that raises awareness of breastfeeding, encourages the formation of support networks between breastfeeding women, and aims to normalize breastfeeding as a part of daily life.
History Of Big Latch On
- Women’s Health Action started the Big Latch On in New Zealand, in 2005.
- Joanne Edwards (Small Beginnings Group, LLC) introduced the Big Latch On to Portland, Oregon in 2010.
- In 2011, Annie Brown and members of Le Leche League USA worked with Joanne to grow the Big Latch On across the USA.
- Women’s Health Action and the Big Latch On Global Coordinator Joanne Edwards of Small Beginnings Group, LLC joined forces in 2012.
Global Big Latch On records
|YEAR||PARTICIPATING COUNTRIES||INDIVIDUAL LOCATIONS||BREASTFEEDING CHILDREN (latched for the count)||BREASTFEEDINGWOMEN||TOTAL ATTENDANCE|
Please note women who exclusively express are included in the breastfeeding children latch count.
Event at Blue Cocoon is Saturday August 5th. The Latch-on will take place promptly at 10:30AM. Please make sure you register by 10 am. Come early to join the festivities, raffle prizes, giveaways, and to play! Please register!